Mobile marketing and video are naturally complementary, with the rise of both driving marketers to adopt an effective strategy that combines compelling, visually stimulating video with mobile marketing tactics.
Evidence-based mobile marketing
Here are just two reasons why:
- When watching videos, more people do so (more than two-thirds) on mobile devices than those that watch video using desktop computers.
- The number of people watching videos on mobile devices is growing fast, up nearly 50 percent in the first six months of 2013.
Mobile marketing and video puts the power of two “hot” marketing tools together.
Planning a strategy
Before you hastily launch a mobile video marketing campaign, tailor your plan using these tips:
- Make it fit the screen. Video content that fits a desktop screen generally won’t work on smartphones or tablets. When developing the video, tailor the font size, for example, so that it’s as easy to see on a small screen as it is on a larger screen.
- Make it easy to watch. Mobile marketing and video works if you keep your customers in mind. Mobile device users rely on live streaming to view content, which can mean slower connections for some viewers. Videos that require high bandwidth can cause these viewers to abandon the video. Make sure that video quality suits your ideal customer’s bandwidth capabilities, and offer several options for viewing quality to ensure the video gets watched.
- Remember your viewers. Mobile users are, well, mobile—and on-the-go. Short video lengths optimally suit busy mobile users; however, that doesn’t mean you can’t ever use a longer video. If you do, be sure to consider the first 10 to 15 seconds of your video, and make it impactful, as viewers may abandon it at this point. Give viewers short on time the option to continue watching later.
Use quality video production for visuals and audio.
- Go big on a quality production. Keep in mind that your viewers could be watching videos nearly everywhere—and in noisy places. The audio quality of your videos should be top notch to ensure a positive viewing experience.
- Take advantage of location. It’s possible to employ mobile video marketing based on location. For example, you can take advantage of ad triggers based on a user’s location. For example, you can claim your business name or organization on platforms that feature location-based opportunities, like Foursquare or Facebook Places. Then, you can run specials or discounts from these platforms that release video ads.
The options for mobile marketing and video are interesting and nearly endless. Marketers are wise to get in on the ground level as the creativity and opportunity of these two genres come together to present nearly limitless opportunities for growth.